Elder Sailing Program 2020 season
UPDATE: May 22, 2020
At this time, we are not allowed to provide the Elder Sailing Program due to social distancing guidelines. We are an anxious to provide these opportunities for the public’s enjoyment and are working hard to make them available. Sail Newport will provide a further update on Friday, May 29, 2020.
The E.S.P. (Elder Sailing Program) is aimed at providing new opportunities for adults 65+ to experience the wonder and joy of sailing. Prior experience is not required, and anyone with a reasonable level of mobility (should be able to walk at least 25 yards and sit on a bench with a low backrest).
Reservations to go sailing with one of Sail Newport’s certified instructors for two hours can be made through the Sail Newport Dock Office: (401) 849-8385 and scheduled according to the customer’s schedule, and instructor availability. Up to three people (at least one of whom must be a senior) can participate.
Parking is available adjacent the Sail Newport Marine Education Center where the Dock Office and boats are located. Oldport Marine also runs a regular water shuttle from Bannister’s Wharf in downtown Newport, directly to Sail Newport.
Through an anonymous grant, the program will provide a subsidy to cover part of the cost of the excursion. Additional financial assistance is available by application. The rate is $99 per boat, with an instructor, for up to two hours.
- Reservations may be cancelled up to 24 hours in advance with no penalty. With less than 24 hours notice, the customer is responsible for the $99 fee unless Sail Newport is able to fill the spot.
- Ideally, participants should know how to swim and everyone will be required to wear a lifejacket while on the sail. Sail Newport provides the lifejackets.
- If the weather is inclement (no wind, too much wind, rain) the excursion will be cancelled without penalty.
- Sail Newport’s Marine Education Center at 72 Fort Adams Drive provides a terrific spot for anyone to sit and watch the action from the shore. There are restroom facilities with easy access on the ground floor.
- The Sail Newport instructors are experienced at working with participants who are both first-time as well as experienced sailors, to ensure their excursion is comfortable and safe.