Elder Sailing Program 2020 season
The E.S.P. (Elder Sailing Program) is aimed at providing new opportunities for adults 65+ to experience the wonder and joy of sailing. Prior experience is not required, and anyone with a reasonable level of mobility (should be able to walk at least 25 yards and sit on a bench with a low backrest).
Reservations to go sailing with one of Sail Newport’s certified instructors for two hours can be made through the Sail Newport Dock Office: (401) 849-8385 and scheduled according to the customer’s schedule, and instructor availability. Up to three people (at least one of whom must be a senior) can participate.
Parking is available adjacent the Sail Newport Marine Education Center where the Dock Office and boats are located. Oldport Marine also runs a regular water shuttle from Bannister’s Wharf in downtown Newport, directly to Sail Newport.
Through an anonymous grant, the program will provide a subsidy to cover part of the cost of the excursion. Additional financial assistance is available by application. The rate is $99 per boat, with an instructor, for up to two hours.
- Reservations may be cancelled up to 24 hours in advance with no penalty. With less than 24 hours notice, the customer is responsible for the $99 fee unless Sail Newport is able to fill the spot.
- Ideally, participants should know how to swim and everyone will be required to wear a lifejacket while on the sail. Sail Newport provides the lifejackets.
- If the weather is inclement (no wind, too much wind, rain) the excursion will be cancelled without penalty.
- Sail Newport’s Marine Education Center at 72 Fort Adams Drive provides a terrific spot for anyone to sit and watch the action from the shore. There are restroom facilities with easy access on the ground floor.
- The Sail Newport instructors are experienced at working with participants who are both first-time as well as experienced sailors, to ensure their excursion is comfortable and safe.