Sail Newport has the privilege and honor to manage the public facility located in Fort Adams State Park. With so much of the waterfront and coastline developed, Sail Newport is very fortunate to be caretakers of a spacious campus at the generosity of the State of Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management (DEM}. The use of public property requires that our programs and events and services all be available to the public at affordable costs.
Sail Newport’s campus includes event dockage and storage facilities, interior and exterior event spaces, classrooms and educational operations and sailing center services. We operate small, medium and Mega-events such as the Volvo Ocean Race Newport Stopover.
The background of Sail Newport is historic Fort Adams panoramic water views, family picnic areas, a public Harbor Walk, a beach, rugby and soccer fields and ample green space for public enjoyment.
In Sail Newport’s lease agreement with the State of Rhode Island, we maintain and offer:
- A Youth Sailing Center with a boathouse, a classroom building and a dock system
- A Mid-Park Marine Education and Recreation Center with offices, classroom, event space, showers, restrooms and a Dock Office
- Drysail storage in North and South drysail lots
- The Admiral’s Pier with a two-ton and three-ton hoist
- Access to free parking
- A mast hoist
- Plentiful dinghy storage and rig-up areas
- A keelboat dock system
- Special event dockage at the Alofsin Piers and a new North Pier
Also at the facility, you will see the Sail Newport fleet in action including:
- 14 J/22 sailboats for rentals, instruction, racing and events
- One Rhodes 19 Sailboats for rentals, instruction and events
- Over 140 dinghies for youth programs including: Optis, Prams, scholastic and club 420s, Hartlie 10s, Bugs and RS Quests
- A large and varied fleet of powerboats for safety operations, coaching and race committee activities