We are very proud to offer public access to sailing with our rental fleet on J/22 sailboats (and a Rhodes 19). The boats are available seven days a week for hourly rentals for individuals, families and groups.
Narragansett Bay is our greatest natural resource and there’s no better way to enjoy the water than sailing on a beautiful day.
Summer (Memorial Weekend – Labor Day)
Rental Blocks: 9 a.m. – noon, 12:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. and 4 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Spring & Fall (May, and Labor Day to the end of October/early November)
Rental Blocks: 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
An annual on-the-water check-out by a member of Sail Newport’s instructional staff is required of everyone who comes to use our fleet, regardless of years of experience. The check out is typically done right before you rent the first time each season, and is our chance to see that you have sufficient skills to sail the boat safely and appropriately in the conditions, as well as to familiarize you with our boats, procedures and rules, and the sailing area.
The check-out typically takes 10-20 minutes. If you have any questions about whether you have the necessary skills to pass the check-out, please give us a call. Our staff would be more than happy to discuss this with you!
Our staff will work with you to determine if a one hour “refresher” can get you up to speed or more extensive instruction is necessary. The one hour refresher puts one of our certified instructors on board with you for the first hour of your rental. There is an additional fee of $30.
Your payment via credit card guarantees your reservation. If you do not show up your card will be charged, unless:
- You cancel at least 24 hours in advance of your scheduled rental time
- You do not pass the required check-out sail
- If the Sail Newport staff determines that weather conditions warrant cancellation
|J/22 weekday rates|
|3 hour rental||$82||$121|
|6 hour rental||$146||$216*|
|J/22 weekend rates|
|3 hour rental||$96||$152|
|6 hour rental||$172||$270*|
|Rhodes 19 weekday rates|
|3 hour rental||$63||$95|
|6 hour rental||$113||$167*|
|Rhodes 19 weekend rates|
|3 hour rental||$80||$106|
|6 hour rental||$140||$189*|
Five-Session Cards – Five rentals for the price of four!
- Five rental session cards are available for use of J/22 and Rhodes 19 sailboats.
- You must be a Sail Newport member to purchase and use a 5 session card.
- The discounted rate (weekdays) is $328.00 per card for a J/22 and $252.00 for the Rhodes 19, and $384.00 for a J/22 and $320.00 for a Rhodes 19 (weekends). Essentially, it’s five sails for the price of four – great value for a regular sailor!
- Five session cards are only good for the season in which they are purchased–unused cards may not be carried over to the following season.
Open Card – Weekdays
- $850 May – October
- Entitles the holder (must be a Sail Newport member) to reserve and rent any of the keelboats during regularly scheduled rental times except Saturday and Sunday afternoons and holiday (12:30-3:30 p.m.) rental periods.
- Open Card holders may use a boat at the start of the Sat/Sun afternoon or holiday 12:30 – 3:30 p.m. rental period, if one is available, you just may not make a reservation in advance for either of those specific time blocks.
- Open Cards are not transferable: the holder/purchaser must be present for the sail.
- A $100 surcharge applies to anyone with an Open Card who is also chartering for any of the Tues./Weds. Race Weeknight Series. Please refer to the Weeknight Racing page for more information.
- Cards are only valid for the season in which they are purchased.